2019 Academy Apprenticeship for Women Directors
“Being able to observe how a show operates in the best conditions gives me a sense of where the bar should be and a clear goal for achievement.” – Kirsten Carthew, 2018 Academy Apprenticeship for Women Directors participant
The Academy Apprenticeship for Women Directors is an initiative that came from the Academy’s desire to reach gender parity and ensure the greater representation of women and women-identifying directors working in today’s screen-based industry.
The program is designed to bolster the professional development of Canadian directors by providing hands-on experience through a wide range of activities, including an exclusive two-day professional development summit, a six-part online learning module, and curated mentorships with established production companies and high-profile directors.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or landed immigrant
- Be female-identifying
- Have directed at least two short films, or have directing experience in music videos and/or digital series
- Not have directed more than one feature film
This apprenticeship program will be geared to developing the careers of female-identifying directors in episodic and feature length scripted work. French language participants are encouraged to apply, however, some learning modules will be conducted in English.
In the application, you will be asked to:
- Provide your CV/Resume
- Provide your director’s reel along with two links to prior artistic work
- Include your biography (250 words in length)
- Answer a set of questions about yourself, your career goals, and your projects in development (questions will be made available May 2019)
- Provide two professional references
Please check back in May 2019 when full application details will be available.
The Academy Apprenticeship for Women Directors is supported by