The Gemini Awards
The Gemini Awards have been annually recognizing and celebrating excellence in Canadian English-language television from 1986-2011.
Celebrating the best in Canadian Television & Digital Media
Visit www.geminiawards.ca for
Read more about 'The 26th Annual Gemini Award Winners'.
See pictures of 'The 26th Annual Gemini Award Winners'.
Search the Canadian Awards Database to find Gemini
Awards nominees and winners
Canadian Personality Rick Mercer, Member since 1995.
Actress Shelia McCarthy,
Member since 1998.
A brief history of 'The Geminis':
- The first annual Genie Awards spawns the movement to include a Television Division and national awards showcase for excellence in Canadian television
- The Bijou Awards are born in 1981, but then put on hold while a framework is built to recognize and represent the Canadian television industry as a whole
- May 30 1985: the Academy announces the establishment of a new Television Division and plans to create a parallel, national award for Canadian English and French language television production
- April 21, 1986: the Academy unveils two parallel, pan-industry awards presentations; the Gemini Awards and the Prix Gemeaux will honour and showcase the outstanding achievements of Canada's English and French language television industries.
- Award-winning designer and artist Scott Thornley designs the Gemini/Gemeaux statuette to represent the twin awards presentations.
- The first annual Gemini Awards are held December 3rd and 4th, 1986 at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.
- The Gemini Awards continue to adapt in the changing face of television, rapid growth of our industry, and state-of-the-art technologies.
For more information or questions about awards contact your Academy office:
English - National
Louis Calabro - email@example.com
Tel.: (416) 366-2227 ext. 234
Français - Québec
Samuel Bélisle - firstname.lastname@example.org
Tél.: (514) 849-7448, poste 28